426 John D. Tickle Building
851 Neyland Drive
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Knoxville, TN 37996
I have over 10 years of experience working on water resources problems. Currently, I’m a postdoctoral research associate at University of Tennessee working with Thanos Papanicolaou, an internationally known professor and researcher in the field of hydraulics and sediment transport.
During my PhD, I had the opportunity of working closely for several years with Dr. Sean Bennett, a very prominent figure in sediment transport and watershed management field. I have worked on environmental fluid mechanics problems such as soil erosion, stream restoration, and Great Lakes water quality. My experience includes experimental and computational studies of open channels, jets, and lakes.
Prior to my PhD, I launched a construction startup, Tasbitsazan Samen Construction Company, in Iran. I have also served as the advisor to Mashhad mayor’s assistant for two years. Mashhad is the second largest city in Iran. My job as an advisor involved supervising construction committee of advisory group, evaluating ongoing engineering projects in the city, and recommending actions to reduce projects duration.
- Soil erosion, understanding the physics of erosion and improving assessment technologies.
- Hydrodynamics of stratified lakes and effects on water quality and biological processes.
- Channel stabilization and stream restoration with a particular focus on in-stream structures.
- Fluid dynamics of turbulent jets and applications in water resources engineering.
- Physical and environmental processes in open channels.
- Bennett S. J., S. M. Ghaneeizad, M. S. Gallisdorfer, D. Cai, J. F. Atkinson, A. Simon, and E. J. Langendoen, 2015, “Flow, turbulence, and drag associated with engineered log jams in a fixed-bed experimental channel.” Geomorphology 248: 172–84.
- Ghaneeizad S. M., J. F. Atkinson, and S. J. Bennett, 2015, “Response to: ‘Comment on: Effect of flow confinement on the hydrodynamics of circular impinging jets: Implications for erosion assessment’ by Spyros Beltaos.” Environmental Fluid Mechanics 15 (4): 901–3.
- Gallisdorfer M. S., S. J. Bennett, J. F. Atkinson, S. M. Ghaneeizad, A. P. Brooks, A. Simon, and E. J. Langendoen, 2014, “Physical-scale model designs for engineered log jams in rivers.” Journal of Hydro-Environment Research, 8(2): 115-128.
- Ghaneeizad S. M., J. F. Atkinson, and S. J. Bennett, 2014, “Effect of flow confinement on the hydrodynamics of circular impinging jets: Implications for erosion assessment.” Environmental Fluid Mechanics 15 (1): 1–25.